Confirmed Cholera cases in Lilongwe have risen to 7. current cases include
Area 36 : 2cases
Chisapo: 1 case
Area 24: 2cases
Mtsiriza: 1 case
Notice its wide spreading fast… Please take precautions.
What you need to know about Cholera:
.1What is Cholera?
Cholera is an intestinal infection characterized by profuse watery diarrhea of sudden onset
.2Cause of cholera:
A bacterium known as Vibrio cholerae
.3Mode of transmission
Feco-oral transmission i.e. mainly ingestion of water or food contaminated with faeces of an infected person. “Fingers, flies, faeces an fruits”
One may start having symptoms within, as early as, 2 hours of infection.
.5Signs & symptoms
-Profuse watery diarrhea which can be very frequent, looks like water from boiled rice.
- How can you protect yourself and your family?
- Drink safe water – mineral or boiled water.
- Do not eat outside home
- Wash hands before eating or drinking
- Wash hands after using the toilet
- Avoid gatherings
- Disinfect water with chlorine
- Wash fruits well and peel before eating
- Disinfect toilets
- Avoid flies at home
- Eat only freshly cooked foods.
- Cut your nails
- What to do in case you get infected
– Start oral rehydration salt (ORS). If ORS is unavailable to you, put 8 tea spoons of sugar and 1/2 tea spoon of salt in 1 liter of safe water and start drinking
– Go to the nearest hospital ASAP
- How do people die of cholera?
Dehydration leading to electrolyte imbalance and hypovolemic shock is the main cause of death
- What is the good news?
– Cholera is both preventable and treatable
– 75% of infected cases do not develop symptoms though they can spread the disease
-80% of cases will only need ORS to get better
Take personal responsibility to stop the cholera